Monday, May 24, 2010

The road not taken..

The road not taken. Every second, we will have to decide on which road we should take. I had just listened to a broadcast about investment. To be exact, it is about stock market investment. Beside interested in civil engineering, I am actually more interested in doing business. The non-stop challenges, learning process, and return are some of the attractive points of doing business.

In short, I have three roads in front of me to choose.

1. Concentrate only on my current profession.
2. Finish this and take up business studies on investment and economic studies.
3. Concentrate on my current profession and take up investment as my part time.

Road 1 and 2 might seem easy. Just have to concentrate on one particular objective. The third one will not be easy. Investment comes with lots of studies, analysis, and data collections. It was the same with civil engineer, an everlasting learning profession.

Which road should I take? Where will I be in all these different roads? This morning, I did post something on Facebook. The posting is, "Maybe I should have dedicate my life into learning coffee making, cocktails, and beer brewing instead of studying Civil Engineer.". All the activities that I had listed down in the post are my hobbies.

However, those are just my hobbies; I do realize that it is easier to make a good living by being a businessman or a professional.

Business and investment aren't easy. Two years ago, I had learned a lesson from my so call business and investment. Grouping up with a few of friends and tried to invest into a marketing a company. At that time, I used up the money given from my parents into the investment thinking that if I was to succeed in this then I will no longer need to depend on my parents and will be able to build up my career from there.

I did put in a lot of effort and time. I have to manage both my studies and my business. It wasn't easy. That time I was still new in this country as well. The thing lasted for a year when our little business group was finally disband. All the effort, time, and money got burnt. Maybe it is valuable in terms of the experiences learnt from the whole process.
Later on, I stop thinking about involving in any form of business for a year. I took that time to concentrate in my studies as well as to learn from my mistake. I got myself a part time job, worked hard, and again I have to balance the time for my studies and my job. Working at least 40 hours a week, sometimes spent sleepless night in order to cope with my studies. My health deteriorates. It was only last year when that happened.
Right now, it is time for me to walk on that road again. The THIRD CHOICE.

No comments: