Monday, August 30, 2010

Our purpose?

Coming down to the Earth with a purpose? An arranged purpose or we will have to search and define our own?

What is your purpose? Do you even know?

There are times I like to argue with my mum. There are a lot of times she won't agree with the things I planned but yet she still trust that I can manage my own life well. That what being parents are all about. Love each other. Form a family of two. Give birth and form bigger family. Later on, nurture the kids and educate them and watch them grow.

Today my mum has been very funny in the internet. She would always hope that I would lead a normal life. A life with a sustainable income, form a small family and lead a normal life. Being me, I would like to defy that law about leading a normal life.

I don;t mind forming a family but I just want to explore the world. Search for my own purpose. There are a lot of people in this world that had done great things and taken the paths less taken by other people. I admire the courage shown by those people who are willing to sacrifice for their goals and dreams. It takes a lot of discipline to be able to do so.

Few weeks ago, I met this engineer who had sacrifice his life to build bridges for the third world country. My mum argued that those third world country would have engineers and why not they do it and there are a lot of engineers outside and they can take turns to volunteer to help those countries. If only life is that simple.

In third world country, how many engineers in the country? Even if they do have, do they have enough manpower and skills? With the exponential growth in the populations, everywhere seem to be lacking of engineers. Even if so, how many people across the world would volunteer their time to travel to the third world country to build those bridges. In some country, waiting for the projects to be approved would take months and how many engineers would be willing to sacrifice that period of time?

If he is not doing it then who will help those people? Is he leading a normal life?

A normal engineers would have an office, an assistant, and a decent shelter. He does't have all those stuffs. With a laptop and his calculations, he will have to come out with ways to obtained the materials, technologies, and the manpower to build a bridge. Those bridges might seem simple but it connects those people from rural area into civilisations.

When you arrived at country like Cambodia, you will understand how rural their rural places can be. I will definitely pay those places a visit and see how things work out for them. You can hear from the others bout how bad those places can be but you will never truly understand them unless you experienced them for yourself.

Don't give people the crap that you pity them because they do not have enough food, have the facilities like you do, and then give people the bullshit on how you have donated these and that for them. What they need would be sustainable actions. Clothings and food that you have donated would only last them for awhile, but if you help the community to grow and they themselves would be able to make a living out of it in future.

"Don't give a man fish but instead give him a fishing rod and teach him to fish".

Just now, I didn't know how the conversation had ended in a way that I told my mum that, if you want a daughter in-law and grandchildren then ask Kelvin to get them for you. It can be his duty.

Pushing all the duty to my bro. I wouldn't be intentionally to go and look for all these things and won't mind having them. It is just that I won't promise anything as I have something else in mind right now.

No comments: