Sunday, October 3, 2010

Training

Today wasn't busy. The restaurant is exceptionally quiet today and some of the colleagues and I left for home early today.

These two days had been different. Finally, I was able to receive some training in the bar. From cocktail to coffee making. Seems like, coffee making in the western country is more tedious than Malaysia. The coffee bean to the coffee powder, we have to make sure that everything is fresh. There is a limit for each stage. A coffee bean can last for about 24 hours while the coffee powder can only last for 20 minutes once they are being exposed to the atmosphere.

The first cocktail that I made for the customer is the Cosmopolitan. Most people know about this drink. A simple cocktail but is rich in taste. A bit of orange mixed with the berry and a touch of sour taste. It is refreshing.

Yesterday I had made a big mistake. A very big mistake. I should have know about it. It is so simple. I should have used new ice for the shake and strain process but instead I rush into preparing the drink for the customer. Emily said that it wasn't my fault. The ice was becoming watery and the shake wasn't perfect. Well, I knew that the ice was becoming watery when I scoped the ice up. I should have went to the back for more new ice. Even though we are closing the bar soon, I should have. It was a terrible mistake.

Today I had learned something new. Today is the day that I start to like Gin. I still remember the first time I tried Gin was during a Kuantan Trip with my friends during college. At that time none of us like it and we practically used it to clean the dishes. So called, alcohol will killed the bacteria so we decide to replace the dish detergent with Gin instead. What a waste.

Gin really taste good once we know the right way of handling it. I learned to appreciate the herb taste in it. Seem like, it is true that the best way to enjoy a Gin is to have it chilled and straight.

One of the reason why I learned up bartending is to learn to appreciate the spirit and liqueur. Before this, the only thing I know about them is to get high and drunk with them. I do not care about the taste. Even though some of them do taste horrible when was mixed with green tea but we still had it just for the sake of getting high.

Imagine getting high and wasted with a 30 years old Chivas and then bragged about it the next day. Amateurs.

"WOW, last night we had this expensive 30 years old Chivas. It was 500 bucks a bottle. We were fucking high."

I think 30 years ago, the person who made this batch of Chivas was really hoping that we can enjoy the whisky properly. It is not easy to age the whisky for 30 years. The person might even be dead by the time the batch of Chivas is being marketed. All his hard worked and dedications is for a bunch of fools to brag about getting high on expensive spirits. It is sad.

No comments: